Big Bear

All summer long we threatened to go on a camping trip, but somehow the summer got away from us before we planned one. We had also wanted so badly to make it to the cabin in Colorado, but since gas prices were close to a whopping $4.50/gal we decided it just wouldn't work this year, sadly enough. However, once Labor Day arrived we had just had it and needed a little time away in the mountains, to get our small fix for the summer. As Southern California goes, all the campgrounds were full for the weekend and camping in the wilderness isn't exactly as easy as it is in Utah or Colorado. So we decided we wouldn't try roughing it and we found a steal of a last minute deal on a room at a lodge up in Big Bear Lake (the closest Ski Resort to SD). It was perfect-- It was a cute little suite with 2 fireplaces, 2 big rooms, a full kitchen, and 2 bathrooms. We went up for two days one night and had such a fun and needed getaway. We drove around the cute little town, made a delicious Italian dinner in our place, spent most of our time on a few beautiful and refreshing hikes, read books, wore our hooded sweatshirts, watched movies, and just enjoyed amazing & fresh mountain air, scenery, and the chilly nights we'd been longing for. It really was the perfect weekend away for us. We loved taking Cal to the mountains and taking him on some real hikes for the first time. He had so much fun riding in the Baby Backpack. We also just love the outdoors and can never get enough.

The one family shot we got the whole trip, towards the end of our long hike.

Cal was such a good sport through the hot afternoon sun in the backpack!


Come on Mom, I'm tough

I love that little man! He's my best little bud.

Dan always gets him laughing so cute
Our little picnic at the top of the mountain
First time eating PBJ--Probably not the smartest thing to do in the middle of nowhere miles up the mountain (in case of allergies...haha) but luckily it was a hit.
The rhythm of the hike put him right to sleep
Little hiker



The views of the lake were beautiful!

Comments

7 comments:

The Richards in Canada said...

Looks like you had a great time!!
Cal so so adorable!! I've never seen a smile like his!!

Zane and Lexi said...

what a fun trip! we miss the mountains :(

Julie Weiss said...

please please please come visit utah. i need to meet cal! I just love seeing pictures of him. he makes me smile everytime.

Erin said...

I second Julie's comment. I want to meet Cal!
Your photography is going well. I love the last pic. So pretty.

Carpfam said...

Yay, I can leave a comment. I tried to leave one the other day and it wasn't working for some reason...anyway I love all of the new posts! Cal is so adorable!

Miller Family said...

Look at that beautiful LONG hair!! This is Kelly btw. I love all the updates! Cal is getting cuter and cuter! I cant believe he has had his first birthday! WOW, such a big guy! I love his beach birthday and you look adorable-as usual! You and your friend Liz have the same smile to me, you are both stinking cute! Hope life is good! We miss you, and happy late birthday!

Ashley and Aaron said...

This looks like SO MUCH fun! And of course Cal loved riding in the back pack...it looks like the lap of luxury! This posts makes me feel bad for not taking advantage of all the great hikes we had closeby this summer...whelp...there's always next year!