Nanny's House

A few weeks ago we took a Sunday drive up to Moreno Valley to visit my husband's sweet Great-Grandmother and my son's Great, Great-Grandmother, Nanny, as we lovingly refer to her. She is 95 years young, still living in the same house her husband built many decades ago all by herself, still pulling weeds and keeping her one acre lot in the impeccable condition it is always in. She is an amazing spirit. Full of beauty and life, faith, and most of all, love. Lots and lots of love. 


She just loves visitors and she was so sweet to us. We ate pizza on the porch, and just chatted and listened to her darling Arkansas accent tell about people and places and life experiences. She played and played with Cal and if you know Cal...well, he can be kind of rough. Cute Nanny just let him climb on her though and give her kisses and had a huge smile on her face through it all.


The fact that her first name is Jewel, really is no coincidence. She is such a gem and we feel so blessed to be part of her family and her heritage. What a wonderful example we have to look up to.


It was so fun taking pictures of her, although she just insisted that my camera was going to break every time I snapped one or that the only place I could use the pictures would be in the garden to scare away the crows.


Oh Nanny. :)

0015


0020
This is one of my favorite shots of all--Nanny's living room
0016
This pictures is just so Nanny. Sitting in her chair next to the window. Watching everyone from a distance and just smiling. So content and so happy.
0017


0019
She won Cal over in about 2 seconds
0011
0010


0003
Her sweet little house. Dan has so many wonderful memories here.
0005
0007
0006
0009
Cal thought her yard was the best and enjoyed getting nice and filthy in the gravel
0001
0002
0008
I love this tree in her backyard and the light was hitting it so beautifully
0012
0013
0014
Dan and his Nanny

Comments

4 comments:

Miller Family said...

I love the first picture. I hope I look like that when I am her age, like I lived a long, full life. And those pictures of her and Dan...how special.

Joan said...

Wow, I've missed out on so many posts...or in other words: some seriously stunning photographs! I hope I can be like you when I grow up and learn how to take stellar pics of my family too ;)

Zane and Lexi said...

these are priceless - how special that you were able to capture the moment with beautiful photos! great job ash...

ashley marie said...

wow -- I haven't checked your blog in forever it feels like (I always forget to look at the private ones) and I have seriously forgotten what a GORGEOUS family you have!!!!!
Seriously, you guys are all so cute and I think you are AMAZING at your photo edits... picture taking too :) Keep up the good work! I'm gonna have to check in on you guys more, you are so fun!