Colorado: Getting Started and July 4th

This summer we finally got to take the trip we have been dying to take for 3 years. A two week visit to Colorado. The trip was perfection in every way and we literally had the time of our lives. Colorado is our favorite place and it feels like a second home whenever we are there. We stayed at my Dad's cabin in Vallecito Lake and just enjoyed the beautiful mountains to the fullest. 

Growing up, I lived at this cabin for at least 3 months every summer. The day school got out practically, to the day school started....we escaped the Arizona heat and we were transformed into mountain rugrats--building forts, hiking trails, fishing, camping, jeeping, motorcycling, rafting, you name it. It was a little tomgirl's heaven. In fact, my Dad grew up doing the same thing, and his Dad did too. It's a big extended family tradition. Imagine my surprise when I grew up and realized that it really isn't the easiest thing to go live somewhere else for the whole summer. (The benefits of having a Dad with seasonal work) :) Bummer. So we've had to settle for the occasional weekend trip here and there ever since I left home for college. So this trip was especially special since we got to have a whole 2 weeks up there and could really settle in and feel a bit like old times. 

I'm so glad Dan loves it there as much, maybe even more than me--and that is really hard to do. We both just adore everything about that place and it feels like we have been going there together forever. This time though was particularly meaningful because it was Calvin's very first time going. It was so magical showing him everything for the first time and having him experience it all. I can't wait to make him a Colorado boy too! I think he already is one. It's in the blood......

I have about a zillion pictures from the trip so I'm working on narrowing them down. These are from our road trip there and July 4th.
0004
We stopped over night in Phoenix to break up the 15ish hour drive and so when we finally made it to this sign we were pretty darn thrilled and had to stop and take some pictures. Just seeing this sign makes me so happy inside. Colorado is the best.
0003
0005
0006
0001
Luckily the hubby is SUCH a good sport and did almost ALL the driving. YUCK! I hate driving on road trips! Thanks babe.
0007
And Cal and Cruiser were serious road trip troopers. I honestly couldn't believe how well they did. It was amazing. Love those little pals.
0011
On the morning of July 4th we went to Bayfield to see the little parade. It was so fun, and hometown feeling, and well, a little hot.
0010
But we felt patriotic and had a great time
0009
0012
0014
That night we went to the fireworks down at the Lake and Cal was mesmerized. It was beautiful and felt just like I was a kid again.
0013
I love vacationing with these boys!
0015

Comments

2 comments:

hdawgy said...

Ash what a fun trip! It reminds me of the time I went with you guys! Man we had so much fun! Memories! haha Your dads cabin is the best! I wish my fam had a cabin somewhere like that! That's cool you got to go for 2 weeks! That's so awesome that Dan likes it as much as you do!
I totally made those smore bars that you posted the recipe...Oh my gosh...Ashley...they are to....die....for! Love them! Thanks for the recipe!

Miller Family said...

I have always heard you talk so fondly of your summers in CO. I'm glad you get to pass that fun tradition on to Cal. And I am not surprised one bit that Dan loves it as much as you. Every time we go to REI Jason says "Who does this store make you think of?" and we always say "Dan".