Halloween

Well I'm ditching my "go in order of events" philosophy for the blog and I'm jumping ahead to Halloween for a second before I back track to October so that the grandparents can get a peek at our little Calvin monster before too much time passes. I always look forward to Halloween because not only is it such a fun holiday but it's also comes at one of my favorite times of year. I LOVE fall!!! I couldn't wait to get out our Halloween decor and put our pumpkins grown right in Mimi's background out on the doorstep. For Cal's costume I ended up buying one because we all know just how handy I am with a sewing machine.....let's just say my sweet husband would have to show me how to even operate it. Sad, yes, but true. So I ended up finding the greatest little monster costume that we just fell in love with. It took Cal a little time to warm up to the idea of wearing it and when I first put it on him, he struggled and whined and then I took him over to a mirror so he could see it. Well he must have liked what he saw because just like magic he completely stopped wiggling & crying and stared at himself real good and then gave a nice big smile. It was too funny. What a little stinker.

On Halloween Day we went and showed off his costume to all of Dan's coworkers and then that evening we went trick or treating for a short turn around the block with our friend's Chad, Lindsay, & May. It was so so so fun watching Cal trick or treat for the first time. He figured it out way quicker than I would've imagined and was more than thrilled to climb stairs on all fours and do whatever he had to do to get to that candy bowl on each and every doorstep. Even though he was sweating buckets in his big fluffy costume he was quite the sport knowing that candy was involved. :) (BTW---How DO kids know the joy of candy, even when they've virutally NEVER had any???? I used to think this was a learned behavior in humans, but nope, not anymore, we are born with the desire to LOVE sugar I've decided.) The funniest thing of all though was that he almost always when given a choice to pick a piece, went for the Butterfingers. So weird....must be the bright yellow or something. He was thrilled about the whole experience and it was so fun getting to do this with him for the first time. I can't believe he is so big! I love that little monster boy. (or a cow, or a dinosaur as many people thought his costume was.....wait, come on, a BLUE COW???!!! You've got to be kidding me! He's a MONSTER for crying out loud. :) )

Later on we made a stop at a fun Halloween party with some church friends before we were too exhausted and too pooped to go on.....(we had also walked miles and miles that day doing Prop 8 fliers so we were worn out) and headed home for a nice early sleep. What a fun Halloween....can't wait for next year. (I'm no good at choosing only a couple pictures, so you get the whole loot....sorry!)


Lovin' himself some candy

Getting ready to go trick or treating....Unfortunately, we didn't get costumes together in time....I know LAME....but our friends Chad and Lindsay had awesome costumes. Chad: Business in the front, Party in the back, and Lindsay: a pregnant cheerleader. May was an adorable mermaid with the most amazing costume that Lindsay sewed!



Taking off with his loot
He is saying the "More" sign here....most definitely in reference to MORE candy....:)
Out trick or treating.....deciding if he is or isn't too scared of the glowing skulls to run past them to get to the candy bowl...He decided he wasn't
TOO cute!

His signature O face--silly boy

Practicing the costume at home

Comments

8 comments:

Zane and Lexi said...

I love little Cal monster - and of course you can tell he is a monster....duh! That's so fun he actually understood the whole "trick-or-treat" thing. We will have to wait until next year for baby Z to realize that there is candy involved...shhhhh!

Lindsay De McBride said...

ash he is so cute i miss him so much. give him a big hug from me.

hdawgy said...

Awww Ash he looks adorable as a little monster! It's ok we didn't dress up either! I love that he totally understood and wanted all the butterfingers! haha Cute pics!

Joan said...

Forget making a costume when you can buy a cute one like that! I LOVE it. You and Dan are such a handsome couple. You guys just look right together :)

erin said...

Cal looks so adorable! And you are so tan in those pictures.

Marc and Allyson Rogers said...

Oh, he is MY little Cal-monster! I miss him! He and Rachie would've had a blast together (Carlie and Caleb were a bit fast for her, and she had a hard time keeping up!). So, so cute! I'm so glad you got his more sign on camera, too!

Joan said...

Would you mind emailing me your address, pretty please? Thanks, Ash.
joankoplin@gmail.com

Ashley and Aaron said...

Hooray! I've been wanting to see pics of Cal in his costume -- it is so adorable!