So last night, some of you may have already heard, there was a 4.2 earthquake here in lovely San Francisco. :) Fortunately, it must have been far enough away that it didn't do much but shake our furniture a little bit, but other friends of our said they felt it worse than that. Dan and I were sitting on the couch and I started to feel the couch shaking so I got mad at Dan and told him to stop moving the couch. Then he looked at me and said, "I'm not, its an earthquake." So we both got up and walked over to our doorway for protection...just in case. I couldn't even feel the shaking unless I was touching a piece of furniture or something so it wasn't bad, but it was definitely an interesting experience! This is actually the 2nd one I've felt--the other day I was working and I felt the desk shake against my leg for a few seconds and couldn't figure out what was going on, so a few minutes later I got online to see if maybe it was an earthquake and sure enough it was. But it was 3.0 or something like that. Pretty crazy! I guess I didn't think much about the fear of earthquakes too much before moving here--maybe I should have! :) But I guess the truth of the matter is there are dangers everywhere you go so you just have to be smart, be prepared, and pray real hard!!! The first few weeks we were here our ward did an emergency preparedness activity and they covered a lot of information about earthquakes. We learned a ton about it and where to go and what to do in the situation. So Dan and I have come up with an emergency plan and have our 72 hour kit and earthquake preparedness supplies ready to go--including our newly purchased hard hats! :) Hopefully we won't need them, but hey, better safe than sorry!
But just in case you were all wondering here are a few tips on what to do if an earthquake happens: (hehe :))
1. Stand up against a wall or a building---anywhere that falling objects won't get you! Or just under a solid doorway or piece of furniture. Stay away from windows and glass at all costs!
2. Protect your head first and foremost! Duck and cover. :)
2. Keep a flashlight and a pair of shoes under your bed in case you need to get out of bed at night and there's a lot of debris.
3. Make sure you have lots and lots of drinking water on hand for after a bad earthquake, because water lines are often contaminated and each person in your family needs a gallon of water per day after a disaster.
4. Be sure to have fire extinguishers in various places in the house to put out fires if necessary.
5. Have a mutual contact out of the area that you and your husband could call in case you were separated and needed to reach eachother.
Earthquakes!!!
Posted by Dan and Ashley on Friday, March 02, 2007 | 3 comments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Comments
3 comments:
Crazy! We didn't know that happened - glad you are safe! But, I was hoping to see a pic with you guys in your hard hats!
Ashley! It's Stephanie Whiting, from your ward in Provo. I saw your link on Ginny and Jason’s blog. I loved looking at your pictures, they are so cute! It looks like you are having so much fun in San Francisco! I am excited that we can keep in touch through blogging! Have a great day!
Hi long lost friends! We miss you guys a ton! I am glad to see that you are doing well out there! SF can be a little frighting at times! What a great city though! We will be out the end of August and would love to get together! I am sorry I just missed your trip out here Ash!Love,Kell
Post a Comment