Leaving my heart in San Francisco....

So in the next couple weeks, we'll be leaving this.....

and moving to this.....

Let's just say things have been a little crazy the past few weeks with lots of big difficult decisions on our plate! I guess the biggest news of all is that Dan was offered a great job opportunity in San Diego and so we are actually going to be moving down there over the next couple weeks. This has all been quite unexpected and it has been so tough making the decision because we are so so happy here. Dan's job has been great, we couldn't love the city we live in more, and we just love all our wonderful friends here. So even though San Diego is a wonderful place and one we definitely wouldn't mind living in someday, when this great opportunity came up it just took me by surprise and it was really tough knowing what to do. We thought about it a ton before we decided that the job in San Diego would be so great for Dan--not only would it mean an awesome promotion but it would really help him grow and learn so much in his field, hopefully opening lots more doors in the future. Plus, we thought it might be nice with me not working right now to live in a less expensive place where we could get more for our money. So we accepted the agency's offer in San Diego and Dan informed his work here that he would be leaving....that's when things really got complicated. His agency here gave him a very appealing counter offer and it was so tempting to stay, since we didn't really want to leave in the first place and since a promotion here would mean we could be a bit more financially comfortable and not have to move and leave this city we've grown to love so much. But in thinking about it over and over again it just didn't feel right. It was one of the hardest decisions I've tried to make in a really really long time, but for some reason it just kept ending up that we didn't feel quite right about staying here. I feel so torn and I'm having a really hard time with this move, but I think everything will turn out alright in the end and it will be a good thing for our family. San Francisco has just become home to me and we've had the most wonderful, exciting year here. I will never forget how special our time here was and all the amazing experiences we had. I made Dan promise me that we would come visit all the time....and who knows, maybe we'll end up back here again someday. I just had no idea how much I would love it here and how much this city can really become a part of you. But I know that we will love San Diego too, and that in time it will start to feel like home. I am really excited for Dan and proud of all his hard work that has gotten him where he is at now, and I am thrilled that he'll be in a job that will challenge him and make him happy. Plus, looking on the bright side, who can complain about living just a short distance from a real warm beach and enjoying that SoCal sunshine all the time???!! Maybe I'll finally get a tan! :)haha Doubtful! Anyhow, the plan is that Dan starts his job in Encinitas this coming Monday and then he'll come back and move us the following weekend. Then a week after that we're off to the Caribbean for a vacation--hopefully I'll survive til then! I need to stop stressing and start getting excited, but I sometimes think I hate moving more than anyone in world---ahhhhhh! Oh well, somehow we'll get through it. Wish me luck!

Comments

23 comments:

hdawgy said...

Oh my gosh Ashley! That would be so hard to leave somewhere you love! You guys made a great decision and you will definately be blessed for it! It will be a wonderful new adventure for you guys for sure! How crazy that you have to move so fast! That's really soon! Good luck with the move and everything will be fine! Also about the skunk...haha I can't believe that happened! I've never known anyone to actually have the experience of a skunk spraying them or their dog! At least it was the dog and not you or Dan or even Cal! That would be horrible!

Connor said...

Ah - I had an HR person call me a couple weeks ago asking about what I thought of Dan, saying that they were thinking of making him an offer. Looks like I talked him up enough! :) Congrats!

Jen said...

We will miss you guys so much. I am sad to see you go, but congrats to Dan on the new job. Send some of that sunshine our way!

The Evers said...

Wow what huge news! Dan is amazing and obviously it is not just his old Provo friends that think so! Congratulations to you all! I can't imagine trying to make that decision, both places have so much to offer! Through all of your blog posts the past year it looks like you have really taken advantage of life in S.F. and made lots' of great memories there. Good luck with the move, how could you not love SoCal?!?

Zane and Lexi said...

Ah, the BIG decision! Two great places, and you have all those memories! We are just sad we never got up there for you to show us around. Good Luck with the move...I'm right there with you. I HATE moving!Let us know how things go when you are settled - we love you guys!

Brandon said...

Woohoo! I know its sad to leave a place you love, but we are so excited to have you guys close by now. I think you're going to like Encinitas. The weather is great, the people are nice and the beaches are awesome. Congrats on your new job Dan!

Jess and Matt said...

That is really exciting. The great thing is that even though it's a tough decision, both things are wonderful, so really you can't lose. I am happy for you guys.

Erin said...

Congrats! I have never even been there but I wish I lived in San Diego. I can't wait to hear about your new adventures!

Lindsay and Family said...

So, I was looking at some of my blogs and checked Lindsay and Spencer's to see if for some odd reason it had been updated, and I found you! It's Lindsay's friend Lindsay. Surely you remember me from Colorado highschool memories? Anyways, I was so excited to see that you are moving to the area! Lindsay and I will make the move worth it! :) Congratulations on the move and your sweet little boy! I'm happy to see you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

For selfish reasons I am very excited you will be moving to SD. That means I will be able to see you when I go and visit my Dad. I am sure everything will work out well. good luck with the move

Ashley and Aaron said...

Every time we move, I start packing, get grumpy and burned out, fall asleep and wake up after Aaron is finished packing the last box! That is exaggerated but also pretty accurate...I absolutely hate moving so I feel for ya. But how great that you have a fabulous vacation to look forward to when it's all over! We are planning on coming to Tyson's wedding in June so I am excited that we will be able to see you guys. Congrats on the promotion Dan!

The Prigmore Family said...

Yay yay yay! We will be neighbs. Come over right now!

Miller Family said...

NOOOOOO!!!! Just when we were going to be so close to you guys!!! I'm sad but I am sure you guys made the right decision and will love your time in San Diego. You are moving from one awesome city to another. We will have to come down and visit.

erin said...

well I too hate moving with a passion, especially with how much we've moved since being married, 7 times....yeah i know. but GOOD NEWS, Phil and I are moving to San Diego for the summer too!!!!! Hooray! I hope that we will be able to get together and have some fun!! Keep me updated on your move and I'll do the same. P.S. Our move is still a secret until I tell my mom this weekend. She's not going to be very happy.

Tiffany said...

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! Moving seems like it's always a tough decision, but you have to go with your feelings! :)
Good luck with the move and enjoy your vacation! Can't wait to see pictures and hear about San Diego!

erin said...

Hey Dan! Congrats on the promotion!

The1stdaughter said...

What a hard choice! But what a great opportunity! I am so glad I found you guys! I hope all is well and that you enjoy your time in Southern California, I personally favor it (as I am from there). Anyways...I hope to hear from you and good luck on your move!

Tiffany Johnson said...

wow... what a hard choice to make. Sounds like you went about it the right way! I have to say i'm quite jealous of the fact that you will be living somewhere that you don't have to worry about slick roads and freezing cold mornings! :-) I miss the sunshine! How are you guys?

Lance and Becky said...

Oh my goodness you guys, I wish your transfer was back here in Utah, preferable Provo :) You guys will love San Diego too, I'm sure! Congrats you guys, and I can't wait to see some fun pictures! Love you guys!

The Collins said...

Congrats on the new job and moving down here. Are you living in Encinitas or carlsbad...? We just live in OCeanside which is just a few minutes away. We will have to hang out. Good Luck on the move. If you need any help moving let us know. By the way your little Cal is so cute!!

The Dobrons said...

You may be leaving friends...but at least you are coming "home" to soooo many friends here! It's such a hard decision but what an amazing difference it makes when the job is right! Good luck!--and we hit the beach weekly from Temecula so we'll definitely have to meet up there this summer.

Holly said...

Ash, it's me Holly from CO. You have the cutest family. Good luck on the move, we just moved ourselves- again. Give yourself lots of time to get settled, you'll do great. Email me for our blog site. Take care!

The Collins said...

are you here in encinitas now? Lets get together! I just live up the way from you.