So one of the biggest realizations I've had in being a parent is that not all kids like to snuggle. Who would've thought? Isn't that one of the main reasons for having kids?? :) I guess I just sort of assumed that all babies like to cuddle. Before I had Cal I always thought when I was holding someone else's baby and they squirmed everywhere and wouldn't rest their head on my shoulder and relax that it was probably just because I wasn't their mom and so they wouldn't do it with me. Well, I guess I was wrong. Our little boy just does not and almost will not cuddle. This is pretty sad for a mom who loves loves loves to cuddle. Cal loves being held but wants to face outward where he can see everything going on. He loves to sit on my lap and read books and cuddle up with his back against me, but he will not under almost any circumstances cuddle facing inward or with his head on my shoulder. He did only when he was a newborn but ever since he starting holding his head up he just flat out refuses. I think he's just too busy to stop and relax and wants to be a a part of all the action.
However, every once in a blue moon he lets his guard down, relaxes and almost wants to be snuggly. I can probably count on one hand the times in the last 6 months that he has let me hold him facing inward with his head on my shoulder in total relaxation, but when he does, it just melts me. Because these times are few and far between I have to make the most of it, so usually I'll pause and let him snuggle just as long as he possibly will. Its hard to get pictures of him cuddling but here are a few times that he did, or at least, sort of did, and we caught it. :)

Comments
4 comments:
I came to that realization too! It's so fun to have such curious, energetic little boys who love to be seeing and participating in everything going....but those cuddles are the best thing and I am like you, when they do happen, I will drop everything to snuggle! Those pictures are so cute...and by the way, I honestly have NEVER seen a horrible picture of you!
Finn is totally a Squirmy Squirmerson! I took him to story time at the library yesterday and all he wanted to do was crawl around and play with the other kids. And changing his diaper nowadays is a complete joke...more often than not he gets away from me while his little bum is still naked!
I know - my baby has learned the arch of the back...so this is how he gets me to change his position. He has always liked being held upward and outward though. He hates to be craddled like a baby!
Isaac is kind of cuddly. When we go anywhere, he loves to flirt with everyone he sees but when people smile back and talk to him he gets shy and nuzzles into me. He also has his clingy moments at home, usually when he is tired. But actually sit and snuggle with me or be held or rocked to sleep? Forget about it. That hasn't happened in so long, I am starting to miss that aspect of having a little baby. Especially in church, he is so squirmy and 3 hours is a really long time to sit still. Maybe it is a boy thing or maybe it is just the age.
Post a Comment