A Day of Thanks

Three years ago today our lives were forever changed. Looking back, the journey almost seems surreal and sometimes it is still hard to believe it all even happened, but it did. Thinking about today and the 3 year mark of our accident conjures up a ton of emotions, some of sadness, fear, confusion, and pain, but most of the emotions I feel today are only of the utmost gratitude, humility, and love. Oftentimes we don’t understand exactly why things happen in life, why some are asked to carry burdens that others are not. The Lord definitely works in mysterious ways. But one thing is for sure, that He loves us, that He will never leave us alone, and that He does have a plan for each of our lives. I am grateful that today we have the opportunity to celebrate life, to celebrate courage and miracles, and celebrate overcoming the most daunting of obstacles.

To the Woods: I don’t know that we can ever make sense of what happened that day. And I wish there was some way I could take away every pain, every sadness, every hurt that has come to you from this. There is so much I do not understand. But what I do know is that through an awful, horrific situation, emerged 2 of the most amazing, beautiful, inspiring, Christlike people I have ever and will ever know. Your lives are an inspiration to everyone you meet and not only are you miracles in and of yourselves, but the Lord is working thousands of miracles through you every day to improve and strengthen the lives of everyone in your reach. I know that I am a better person just for knowing you.

You have already overcome so very much, and yet I know the journey isn’t over for you--that there is still so much more progress, growth, and more blessings to come. Every time I look at pictures of your precious family and the amazing little boy you have, I feel the Lord’s love wash over me and I am in awe at the miracles right before my eyes. I don’t know that I will ever meet anyone who can match the optimism, strength, forgiveness, love, patience, kindness, and charity that you have shown. It is truly unparalleled, and Dan and I are forever changed because of it.

Although we are miles and miles apart now and don’t get to share in the day to day experiences of your lives, please know that we love you. We loved you before this accident and we continue to love you today and forever. We think of you daily and will never forget the experiences and blessings we have shared with you.

I am so grateful that on a summer’s night 3 years ago, the Lord gave the 4 of us a second chance at life, and that through all the trials and frustrations and pain, he has given us light, and love, and two precious little boys, to remind us that life is beautiful, not perfect, but beautiful, and purposeful and worth living. We love you….

Comments

11 comments:

Taryn said...

Thank you for that sweet reminder of how lucky and blessed we are to be alive today and to be grateful for our blessings. You and Dan are wonderful examples and I can remember thinking that you were so strong and such and inspiration to me when I hardly knew you.

Robin Randolph said...

Dear Ashley and Dan,

Thanks for that beautiful post. My heart is full today also. Like you, I feel that so much is surreal. Those weeks/months were like a slow motion dream (not a very good one!) but we have all been so blessed with added faith and where understanding is lacking as you mentioned, there is peace and comfort. We are blessed to be able to see all that is so good and wonderful and improving and ALL the blessings.

Thinking so much of you today, as I so frequently do. PLEASE let me know when you're here at the lake this summer. I would so love to see you and meet little Cal.

Much love, Robin

Connor said...

Wow, it's been three years already? How time flies...

Having been a bystander in the events that proceeded afterwards, I too am floored at the progress that each person has made, and the people they've become. You guys are all amazing, and I'm glad to know you.

Tiffany said...

You are such a strong person. I love your attitude and your outlook on your trials. You are seriously inspiring, I don't know if I would have your strength and your faith. Thanks for being the example you are for others to learn from.

hdawgy said...

What a good post Ash! I can't believe it's been 3 years already! You are such an amazing friend and I love you so much!

Jess and Matt said...

Thank you so much for your thoughtful, kind words. You two have always inspired us as well, and been cherished in our hearts. Your heartfelt words sounded through me and brought me to tears. Thank you so, so much. We love you and think of you always, and are so excited to see you this summer. You are right, we were blessed by these two little angel boys that have come into our lives. Life does go on and there is so much to love, and be grateful for. We love and are grateful for you, and your influence for the good in our lives.

Zane and Lexi said...

We Love you guys! We are inspired by your strength and faith - thank you for your example! can't wait to see you guys next month :)

The Evers said...

I guess this will echo everyone else, but it is hard to believe that it has been three years. I remember exactly where I was sitting when I heard about your accident. I had regretted not getting to know you and Dan better, I always admired your cute relationship and secretly hoped we would become good friends one day. I am so grateful that I was still able to have that opportunity after your accident! You four are all an inspiration to so many people and such a reminder to be grateful for every day! Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!

Erin said...

Ashley and Dan,
Not sure what I can really add to all these comments except that you are amazing. I remember vividly the Monday morning when I walked in to work and got the news before I got to my desk. As more details emerged that day about the accident and the extent of your injuries, we were all so amazed by your strenth. You inspire me every day.

Kim said...

I am completely touched by your words! We have often thought about what you guys have gone through and though we will never know completely we are so glad to have been taught and inspired by both of you. We often wonder about the Woods and I admit I blogged hopped to them a week or so ago and am sooo glad to see them doing so good. We love you guys and want to meet baby Cal!

Marc and Allyson Rogers said...

Ditto ... :-) I can't imagine going through this life without the sunshine of your friendship, sisterhood, and voice on the other end of the phone every time I need to chat!! You'll be my sister forever, and I'm eternally grateful for that, but I'll also be eternally grateful that the Lord allowed you more time with me on this earth. I love you and Dan (and Cal) so very much.
-Allyson