The Potty Train

For the last week we have officially embarked on the potty-training mission! I have hesitated to even really attempt this full-fledged for so long because I honestly didn't feel any stress about doing it and am not one of those parents that feels like the earlier your kid potty trains the bigger your badge of honor is. Come on, we all know people like that right?! :) Seriously, every kid is different and it totally depends on them and when they are or aren't ready for it. Plus, some kids will act interested at like 18 months and then completely repel the idea shortly after. And really it was just not something I wanted to fight with my kid about for a year when he was really just not ready. However, it does make sense to me that when they are showing strong signs of being ready for awhile and they are big enough to communicate about it and understand, it just might be the right time to give it a whirl....and that has been Cal over the last couple months. 

I dragged my feet a bit, because I didn't know if I was ready to commit to doing what it takes to really get him trained (i.e.--taking him every 15 minutes, cleaning up pee and poo everywhere, never leaving the house....you know, pretty much what its like having a newborn all over again!!). But feeling a little more motivated at the thought of possibly having just one kid rather than two in diapers, I finally decided to get the supplies, come up with a plan, and make the commitment. I am so so glad I did. And it has really not been bad! Thanks to lots of good advice from friends, all we needed was a little bribery, his own little potty, cool big boy underpants, lots of encouragement and positive potty vibes, a couple cold splash showers to "clean off" the occasional accidents and remind him accidents are yucky :), and it has been pretty successful. He had about 1 accident a day at first, but was accident free on Saturday and the last couple days has started telling me when he needs to go sometimes, rather than me just taking him. He's been really good at going both #1 and #2 in the potty which I am so grateful for. And since I knew I would go crazy just staying at home, I have been venturing out to do my normal things like going to the gym, the store, park, friends houses, etc. and he's adjusted pretty well. When we have to, we just turn the back of the car into a port-a-potty with his little seat and he thinks its great. :)

He has been so excited and telling everyone he sees that he is "potty training" and wants to show them him big boy pants. He especially loves his Mickey Mouse ones. My favorite thing that has happened since he started was that a couple days into it he sat down and did his #2 business in the potty, and while I was cheering for him and telling him how happy I was, he stood up and very slowly and deliberately wrapped his right arm around his waist, put his left arm up in the air and bent in half---taking a bow! I couldn't stop laughing! He continued to do it 3 more times with the proudest look ever. I don't know where he came up with it, but it sure did melt my heart. Silly boy.

Well I don't know if I dare say we are "officially" potty-trained over here quite yet, but I've just decided that we aren't looking back, either way. :) So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he keeps up the progress! Hooray!

Since he won't hold still for two seconds for me to get any pictures of him I thought I'd put a few up of what we've seen a little more around our house lately--naked baby buns, and big boy underwear!


And yes....he does still use his binki, ONLY for bed time. :) I'm just too afraid that he'll give up the nap when I take it away at this point and I just can't, CAN'T do that yet. :)

We gave Cal this tool set for Christmas and he is in love with it! He goes around the house trying to "help" and "fix" anything and everything he can think of. He always wants to be just like his daddy and whenever Dan has to do any maintenance in the house, Cal runs into his playroom and comes out dragging his tool box and finding the exact same tool as Dan. He is so cute and serious about it, and talks me through every step he is taking in the "fixing" process, such as which tool he needs to use and what he needs to do next. I love it.




Comments

6 comments:

remi said...

congratulations on your little girl! I'm so excited for you....and excited for all your tips on how to potty train a little boy....

Ashley and Aaron said...

I give Finn cold showers too! About a week ago though I put him in the tub after an accident and he didn't care at all. When I told him it was time for a cold shower he said, "that'd be a great idea" and once in the tub he looked at me and proudly said, "cold showers aren't scary mom!" and I reminded him that no, they're not scarey, but they are uncomfortable and it would be so much better to just have a little wipe...right?! Looks like I may need to find another option...like just letting him sit in it for a while :) Also, totally hear ya about the binki. We took Finn's away shortly after Kate was born and it was hard at first, but after a couple weeks he started napping again like a champ. We let him listen to music instead.

Joan said...

Good girl. Potty training is one of my least favorite things...it just takes a lot of focused energy and time. Bleh.
Oh and btw: I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Nordstrom maternity model?! Whatever.
Another one of my favorites are "plus size models" who are called "plus size" but really look like "normal" people instead of the Holocaust victims who fill fashion magazines these days. Wow, I could write a thirty page dissertation on that one. I think I'll stop there :)

GLASFAM4EVER said...

Congrats! We'll be joining ya soon then we can have a "graduation" party....just moms! LOL!

Misti said...

First-congrats on having a girl. I am so excited for you guys. Second-love the rain pics-DARLING! Third-we just started the potty training as well. You have given me motivation(and a lot of good ideas) to be more committed, so thanks!

Aaron and Sarah said...

Congrats on the successful potty training. I can tell you are such a great mom!